Thursday, September 20, 2007

Goodbye <3

Well, dear readers, it's time to quell the rumors and shed light upon the latest news on the JHaJ front. After a lot of deliberating, vacillating, and kind of freaking out, I have decided to put Just Haircuts and Jackets to rest. It's been a phenomenal year, above and beyond what we could have ever expected from a tiny fan-blog, but times are a'changin' and it looks like this will be the end. As most of you know, Erik recently graduated from MSU, and moved to Austin, TX. I just began my last year of college, with the expectation of graduating and moving to Chicago by next August. This whole “trying to graduate and figure out what to do with life” is actually pretty time-consuming (who would have thought?!?!), and just isn't leaving me any time to put in the work and effort to keep the blog up to the standards I'd like. So, in the anniversary month of our one-year-old blog, it's time to say goodbye.

I don't quite know how to wrap things up in a way that will do JHaJ justice. Do I share my favorite experiences? Do I individually thank all the people who have made such an important impact on my life? Do I make a top 10 list of my favorite MI songs (oh god, I don't even think I could do that, WAY too difficult...the only song guaranteed to be on the list would be Hearts and Flowers!)?

I think instead, I will leave some parting words in hope that my discoveries and experiences this year might inspire action in others. I learned two big things during my work with JHaJ. The first, and most obvious, is that there is a HELL OF A LOT of great music in the state of Michigan. But it doesn't stop at just great bands...there are wonderful musicians, awesome venues, and a huge audience-base.

Which brings me to the second big thing I learned this year: The amount of passionate people who are willing to work hard to keep the Michigan music scene alive is staggering. For me, ELFest was the perfect example of this. So many people came out of the woodwork to help create a monumental weekend of music. The kindness and generosity brought to that tiny backyard was overwhelming, all with the desire to foster a kick-ass musical environment for 2 days.

For reasons like this, I really believe we have a unique and wonderful indie music scene here in Michgian. “Scenes” grow and change and develop and move on, but the little time I've been able to spend as a part of it has been life-changing. I can only hope that the music of our home-state will encourage others to take part in promoting these musicians and to keep the scene thriving.

Thank you all for the support you've given to Erik and I during this crazy blog endeavor. We never expected JHaJ to grow in the ways it did, and we never could have been successful without the support of both musicians and music appreciators. Although there will be no more blog, all of the MI music I've grown to love will still be very close to my heart. I will still be star-struck by GLMS, I will still have a tiny heart flutter when I hear 100 Years, I'll still scream like a little girl when I hear Zach Curd sing, I'll still get emotional when (dreamy) Bathgate plays “Last Parade on Ann St.,” and don't worry: I'll continue to see Canada at every possible chance.

I hope to see you all at our showcase this weekend at the Elbow Room (info in the post below). We'll drink to the bands that we love, Just Haircuts and Jackets.

Love,
xoxo,
Annie Moss

24 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

You two did really great work the past year. I think you know how much I've appreciated being able to keep an eye on what's going on back "home" since I've moved away.

But I guess most of us move away, sooner or later.

Someone else will surely step-up in your absence. Have a heckuva time this weekend at the Elbow. See you in December, hopefully.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kevin E said...

I'm gonna miss this thing. Thank you.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am really sad to see this go, you did a lot to help unify the michigan bands. it's all very very very very much appreciated and will be missed greatly. i'm sad. jonathan/mason proper

1:56 PM  
Blogger antiquejonny said...

It's funny, I was just talking about JHaJ in my class today. We were talking about writing as a source to rally the troops and inspire passion. T
his thing can't die. As Brandon said, someone will most assuredly step up and keep the idea alive. I would be withholding truth if I didn't say I want something to do with that - even if it's something of a spiritual successor - we can't let such an important organizational tool fade out.

We admire and respect everything you two have done for the Michigan music scene. I speak for everyone in the Mighty Narwhale when I say this.
Jon Pataky

1:57 PM  
Blogger Jeff Schroeder said...

What made this blog so amazing was all the time and efforts you put into this. Therefore, I totally understand why it was tough manage with the other things in your life. You have been nothing but altruistic to us Michiganders who like to see our music scene thrive. As silly as it sounds, if I were filthy rich, I would literally pay you a big fat yearly salary for you to blog full time.

This blog was so informative and covered THE very best music in Michigan. I hate to bash, but MetroTimes and Real Detroit never did this for me. I can honestly say that you have given me more information in the past year then MT or RD ever have or, most likely, ever will. For years, I always searched for information on what was happening around me musically. There was always the MT or RD. Unfortunately, if the music had nothing to do with Iggy and the Stooges, White Stripes, Kid Rock, or Eminem, you were pretty much screwed.

Honestly, when I first discovered the blog, I would get so damn excited when a new entry showed up in my RSS feeds. It was such a great feeling to be informed about what was going on. The fact that a lot of the performances reviewed were so geographically spread out (Kalamazoo, E. Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit, HOUGHTON, etc) always blew me away. For many of us, mostly poor college students (okay okay, I was in high school for most of the blogs life ;( ), all the travel and cover charges prevent us from being able to catch every show. For that reason, the show reviews meant so much to me. I always loved being able to hear about a new band and their sound. Then consequently, I'd start attending their concerts or buy their CDs.

Thank you for all your contributions, JhaJ! I love you Annie Moss and Erik Adams.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Kaylan Mitchell said...

Annie and Erik,

This blog was spectacular. You two did really, really wonderful work with it and helped the Michigan music scene grow and bloom. Even being a part of that 'scene', I wouldn't have known or found out about so many wonderful bands if it wern't for JHAJ. It will be missed greatly!

I am also very sorry I won't be able to part ways at the Elbow Room. Canada has an out-of-state calling, but we want you to know that we all love you dearly.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO!
Kaylan

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JHaJ, we love you and are forever indebted to all you have done not only for us but for the entire musical community in this lovely state of ours. It shall not be the same without you. And as Kaylan stated, sorry we can't be at your final show this weekend as we are playing out of state. Otherwise we all would have been there. Bravo again for all you've done. Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear Erik Adams crying.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my darling, thank you for that laugh. ;)
xoxo

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see Erik Adams crying while binging on chocolate.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Eric wears dresses.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I stepped in Erik's puke one time. Thanks for the memories, Erik.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Mike E said...

Jhaj, thanks for the good times and great coverage of one of the coolest "scenes" I've ever known.
Everyone else, let's keep what jhaj started going any way we can.

10:33 PM  
Blogger David said...

Weeping...weeping...

-d and j

7:59 AM  
Blogger (Scene) MetroSpace said...

JHaJ has done a great job, and hopefully will seed the same passionate interest in more people who will start blogs and bands and book shows at their houses and and send their friends CDs of Michigan music.

Because there is something incredible going on here.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Edison Baines said...

I am already missing you. Thank you for the sincere and thoughtful writing and lovely photography. You gave a tremendous boost to the boys of GLMS and we are forever in your debt. May you live to be a thousand years old!

Cheers!
Tim / GLMS

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie-

What am I going to do now? As an elderly suburbanite (this is Coach Mahler by the way), how am I going to know about the goings on in EL/Lanisng.

Who knew that you were only around for a year? Your blog is as famous as if it were around for like 10 years. I know, i know. Blogs are only like 5 years old, but, still, you were great, you were my go-to, and I will miss you. Where am I going to get my scene info & gossip from? Where am I going to get publicity for my fan-abusing, audience-fatiguing shows?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I mean, post a link to your Metrotimes article, at least. Come on. Really.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Just Haircuts and Jackets said...

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=11892
thanks, brandon!
xoxo

5:23 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

And the new one.

I mean, you should post them on the front page. Bask in your hot posthumous publicity (it's the funnest kind!)

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE and POST
April 23 2009
BAND NAME JOINS ILLUMINA RECORDS TO FIGHT TEENAGE DRUNK DRIVING

Illumina Records and Promotions is proud to announce the addition of "GEARTH" to the labels Ground Control drunk driving prevention program.

Ground Control is a first of its kind program. It pairs the music of local performers from around the country with drunk driving prevention advertising. Illumina’s President and the founder of the Ground Campaign is Ron Bellanti. Mr.Bellanti is a twenty-year plus veteran of the national music scene. About the project he states, “ I cannot think of a better way to capture the hearts and minds of young people than music. I have loved local music for decades and think that this is an amazing opportunity for unsigned musicians to attract national attention. I cannot thank the dedicated musicians who participate along side of us enough. Without these young people we would literally be nowhere".

In exchange for the bands involvement they will participate in a massive national public relations campaign that will simultaneously draw attention to the bands music and educate young people about the dangers of driving drunk.

The project will be limited to 30 performers in each state. Each selected artist will have one song on a digitally distributed compellation CD. The CD will be distributed nationally to over 250,000 music fans. Other benefits will include a menu of promotional service such as ad agency quality posters and if the artist so chooses, the promotion of a CD release event.

For more information on "Gearth" go to http://www.myspace.com/gearthmusic

For more information on Illumina Records go to http://illuminarecords.com/

For more information on Ground Control go to http://preventdrunkdriving.net/

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Kids Saving Kids said...

The Kids Saving Kids Campaign and Becca Levy are still looking for a few good musicians in Michigan. If you want to help raise awareness of drunk driving prevention with your music, visit www.ksk.stopddnow.com. You must be the age of 18 or under and have an original recorded song.
Get more information and submit your music to www.ksk.stopddnow.com
For more on Becca Levy, visit www.beccalevy.com
Save Lives with Your Talent!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous hidratação profunda said...

really sad to know about it.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Trends Fort said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home