Friday, June 29, 2007

Matt Jones, Misty Lyn, Carol Catherine in Houghton 6/26/07

Hey! My name's Kevin and I live in the Houghton, which is a small town in Michigan's UP where some really incredible things happen. I volunteer for WMTU, a pretty sweet college radio station (4.4 Kilowatts!), and we like to throw sweet concerts. Were you at Keweenawesomefest? I hope so. Houghton is the best small town in Michigan to hear and play music.

Last Tuesday, WMTU brought Matt Jones, Misty Lyn, and Carol Catherine right downtown to the Keweenaw Brewing Company. We set things up on the deck out back, moved some tables, and our ridiculously courteous and talented sound dudes fixed all the feedback so it sounded near-perfect.

Misty's set was beyond belief. Her arsenal of beautiful, heart-rending songs seemed infinite, and the audience loved her; groups emerged from bar seeking the creator of the songs that drifted into the KBC. She finished with an Elliott Smith cover, Biggest Lie, and it was all too much to handle.

Matt played next, with only a small intermission due to the looming gray clouds. I can't believe it didn't rain; I had ELFest flashbacks for the entirety of the night. Matt's dreamlike poetry kept us dry though, and he played way more new ones than I expected. Who's excited for that reportedly half-finished new album?

The after-party consisted of embarrassing drunk things, a wrestling match between me and Matt Jones, the singing of Great Lakes Myth Society songs, other memories I was not involved in or can't recall now, and UP-famous (Michigan-famous?) Tyler D. rap battling himself. The UP is this fun all the time, and you should come visit. We can find you a couch.

Thanks to WMTU's summer staff, the KBC, Matt, Misty, and Carol for creating one of the most memorable summer nights I've ever had. The town is still talking about it, and my favorite thing that's come out of it is my friend Adam's tribute to Tuesday night. What a state.

Soundcheck

Crowd

Matt's Set

Rap Battle

Goodnight

-Kevin Eder

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh,man... this sounds like a blast! I wish I could have been there. I'll be passing through the UP this week on my way to Wisconsin. Nice to see Kevineder posting on JHaJ! -TM

12:29 PM  
Blogger kyle said...

i'm assuming keweenawesomefest is happening again this coming year? i sure hope so!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home